In 2011, Detroit New Look collected Christmas gifts for one family in need. In 2012, they were able to provide Christmas for two local families. This Christmas, on December 14th, New Look Detroit partnered with The Matrix Human Services Center for their ‘Angel Tree’ event and provided 300 local families with a full Christmas experience! New Look Students helped provide hats, coats, gloves, toys and gift cards for less fortunate families. 20 students were able to participate in this wonderful service opportunity.
Some reflections from the youth after the Angel Tree event:
- “It made me realize that no matter what goes on a smile can always make someone’s day and it shows your appreciation for someone else.” -Dante Hollis, 12th grade Academy Member
- “In life many people go through a lot of things, but I realize that you have to appreciate what you have in life.” -Whitney Shelby, 9th grade Academy Member
- “It made me realize the importance of helping others. Too much is never enough.” -Keyonia Moss, 12th grade Academy Member
- “It gave me a warm feeling inside. I like to see people happy.” -Diamond Long, 9th grade Academy Member
- “My Experience at the Adopt a Family Event was Great. It’s nothing like helping families in need, and I would love to do it again.” ZiAyr’e Adams, 9th grade Academy Member
- “It’s important to help people because we all need help at some point in life. No one can fly with one wing.” -Dynasty Long, 9th grade Academy Member
- “Christmas is not about receiving gifts, It’s about knowing the passion behind it.” -Ajaneece Johnson, 12th grade Academy Member
Watch a video from the event below!